Board Resolution – for All Administrators
From David A. Smith
The Kansas City, Kansas Board of Education has passed a resolution in support of immigrant students and families. The resolution is attached, and available on the district website. Supervisors, please review the resolution with all staff, and make sure they understand the implications of the resolution for their interactions with law enforcement. Pay special attention to the section below:
???BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: In order to provide a free public education to every child, regardless of that child’s or family’s immigration status, absent any applicable federal, state, local law or regulation or local ordinance or court decision, the District shall abide by the following conduct:
- District personnel shall not inquire about a student’s immigration status, including requiring documentation of a student’s legal status, such as asking for a green card or citizenship papers, at initial registration or at any other time and, pursuant to FERPA, shall not disclose, without parental consent, the immigration status of any student.
- District personnel shall not make unreasonable inquiries from a student or his/her parents for the purpose of exposing the immigration status of the child or his/her family.
- If parents or students have questions about their immigration status, school personnel shall refer them to community-based and legal organizations that provide resources for immigrant families and families facing deportation.
- The District will continue to implement all provisions of the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act, and shall not disclose, without parental consent or court order, the personal information for any student.
- To the extent allowed by law, the District will continue to implement its policies regarding the release of students during the school day and interrogation and investigations relating to students as set forth in Board Policies JBH and JCAC.
- All requests made of the District or its schools by ICE officials to access school information or school grounds shall be processed through the Office of the Superintendent who will consult with legal counsel to ensure compliance with the law.???
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.